Ironman Augusta 70.3 9/27/09

Ironman is enticing and must be treated carefully
Too much too soon will leave you walking humbly
I witnessed its power and its complexity
Much yet to learn plenty left to see


Came to Augusta with high hopes and expectancy
How would I fair for 70.3
From the registration to the expo many athletes just like me
All wondering how strong they would be


Race day arrived I looked over the swim
Looks to be straight with current as my friend
Stayed in the car until it was time to go
Slide into the wetsuit and head for the show


Surrounded by 50 years olds waiting expectantly
Then in the Savannah River we are set free
Got a slow start then picked up speed
Swim straight Paul that is just what you need


Swim exit came soon and I was ready for the bike
Wetsuit was ripped and I found my ride
Bright red with Zipp wheels it had some pride
Now if its rider can hit his stride


Tail wind at the start it felt really good
Put it in the left lane and continue to pass
For 56 miles I take no prisoner but will it last
I have my weaknesses but here I am fast


Back at transition and now ready for part 3
Now for the run to see what is left within me
13 miles to go and I am feeling good
Yet the hard part was brewing and that I understood


4 miles in and all was good
Then it came out of a flash
Leg cramp hit was my hopes to be dashed
1 minute run then 1 minute walk it felt like I crashed


8 miles I not so patiently endured
Slow and painful that you can be assured
Yet give up I never would
Made it to the finish thankfully I could


Ironman is a test not just a race you see
What kind of metal is inside of me?
Will my character hold fast or fade in the fire?
Temper yourself and you will find your desire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rev3 Knoxville & the JumboTron

Top 10 Tips for a Sprint Triathlon

Sermon on the Beatitudes Sierra Leone October 27 2019