What to do when you retire

No, I'm not retiring anytime soon, but hopefully I will someday and even then I don't plan to sit and watch the daises grow.  Had a short conversation with someone who plans to retire this month so I asked him if he had any big plans.  The answer was a rather brief one and no big plan seemed forthcoming.

For a guy who can't sit still what would I try an accomplish during retirement?  Had a thought on that subject last evening and came up with an idea.  Pack a car full of hiking gear and head west.  Visit the major national parks on the way until we get to Lone Pine California and cap it off with a hike up Mt Whitney.  Head back via the more southernly route and hit the Grand Canyon on the way home.  That should take a good two months and can easily be repeated each year with new as well as favorite sites.

One of my other thoughts on the subject is learning to sail.  My one attempt at that in a little Sunfish sailboat was totally comical.  That alone should take me months to learn, and plenty of opportunity to keep busy at it for a long time.

Of course you can't spend all of your time just for yourself so another good idea is spend some time volunteering with Samaritans Purse.  Can't think of a better operation I would like to be involved with.  The world is always in the need for a pick me up.  Spent quality time in Haiti and elsewhere knowing that some good work goes a long way.

When asked my standard joke is to spend my retirement as a lifeguard on the beach.  Not that they have many retired gentlemen picked for that job, but you have to admit it sounds appealing.  My swim always needs work so if I don't get the job, I'll just hang around anyway.

Should you find yourself at the beach in 7 years or so and see an older skinny, but active guy as the lifeguard, you may just wonder, could that be Paul?






 

Comments

rhino said…
To become a beach lifeguard, I don't think swimming is as much of a requirement as the ability to run in slow motion! :) Practice that.

Popular posts from this blog

Rev3 Knoxville & the JumboTron

Top 10 Tips for a Sprint Triathlon

Sermon on the Beatitudes Sierra Leone October 27 2019