Goal Setting 2012


Being a goal setter, I like to have a good idea what my goals are for the upcoming year before it gets here.  Specifically have in mind for triathlon this year to focus on 3 events, Rev3 Olympic distance race in Knoxville in May, Rev3 ½ Ironman distance Wisconsin Dells in August and Rev3 ½ Ironman distance in Venice Florida in October.  They are fairly well spaced out which may be good is some respects, but does kind of preclude me from being in peak shape for one big event.  I’ve also not completed two ½ Ironman distances in the same year, so that will be a challenge.  Just thinking about two of those will make for maybe more of a mental challenge than a physical one.

I also have several non-triathlon specific goals, trying not to put everything in one basket.  One of my highlights this year was going on two short-term mission trips, one to Haiti, and one to Berlin Germany.   Those trips were just so rewarding.  Just traveling in general this past year I probably went more places than I ever have in 1 year.  Even better I didn’t have to travel alone for any of them.  I’m blessed to have a great family and group of friends that make life so rewarding.  Have no idea what opportunities will be for 2012, but I hope they can come close to how it worked out this year. 

For triathlon specifically I’m really working toward a more long-term goal of being about to race an Ironman 70.3 event in 5 hours flat by the time I reach 55.  This year I finished Ironman 70.3 Muncie in 5 hours 18 minutes.  My goal for 2012 is 5:09 for that same distance.  Thinking that if I can cut 3 minutes off my swim, bike and run time I’ll be right in the mix.  Easier said than done, but I certainly think it’s possible.  It really begins with having a good coach to keep the workouts focused toward your goal.  I have that with Daniel Bretscher and it keeps my focus really straightforward.  Working with Daniel and the team is very motivating and accountable as well.  Couple of minor changes I plan to make is focusing on swimming smoother and with more volume.  I also plan to do more group rides this year than I did last year.  The J’s Bike team is really focused and tight group and just tagging along with them should be a real benefit to me.   

For missions work I really don’t have any preconceived notions about what opportunities will present themselves.   Last year I had the Haiti trip in mind, but didn’t have a clue that I would be visiting Berlin.  Have the idea in the back of my mind that I would like to lead a group to a mission we support that we have never visited in the past.  Maybe I’ll also get the chance to revisit Haiti or Berlin again.  Whichever way it works out, I plan to be ready and available. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rev3 Knoxville & the JumboTron

Top 10 Tips for a Sprint Triathlon

A Visit with ISU Physical Therapy & Sports Rehab