Thought for the Day

This has been a stressful week as Race Director for the Terre Haute Triathlon in just two weeks.  Not just sweating the details which is always the case, but also concerned that registration numbers are way down.  Too much competition on the event schedule for a limited amount of triathletes seems to be the real issue.  At least that’s how it seems to me anyway.

Today the weather was much better, sun was shining and I was able to run on my lunch hour today.  I’ve been nursing a strained calf muscle, so my running has been limited.  Somehow that really seemed to improve my mood.  As I was thinking about the race, it is much more about the athletes that show up more than it is about numbers.  The best thing we can do as a race team is build an event that really focuses on providing a safe and fair race giving the racers the best opportunity for success that we can.

Thinking on that I wrote the following on the Registration page for the race:

The Thunder in the Valley, Terre Haute Triathlon, has celebrated healthy lifestyles and the sport of Triathlon for 26 years. As a non-profit event, we charge low entry fees because we care about you and the sport, not about your money. Whatever profits are made from this event are 100% reinvested in healthy lifestyles for kids in Haiti. We strive to create a great atmosphere for accomplishment, both at the race and where else possible. We invite you to join our tradition.

Comments

ahettlinger said…
Sorry to hear that you're disappointed about low registration numbers. I considered entering the Terre Haute Tri, but thought it better to shoot for a shorter distance race for my first ever triathlon. So, if all goes well at the Hoosierman in 4 weeks, and I keep at the sport, I will definitely be back for the Terre Haute Triathlon next year!

Popular posts from this blog

Rev3 Knoxville & the JumboTron

Top 10 Tips for a Sprint Triathlon

A Visit with ISU Physical Therapy & Sports Rehab