What we really want for Christmas

Confused about what to ask for this Christmas?  Have something specific in mind what you would like to see wrapped up in a box with your name on it under the tree?  Let me be so bold as to suggest what we all really want.  The three big H's: Health, Hope and the Pursuit of Happiness.  The first being a state of the body, the latter two the state of mind.

Having traveled a bit I've had the good fortune to see wealth at it's finest and poverty in it lowest depths.  Let me suggest people in both situations want the same three big H's as everyone else.

The pursuit of health is a daily battle between what is easy, tasty and convenient versus what is good, of most physical reward, and lasting ability of the body to perform at its best.  Combine this with what you are born with, have to overcome, and natural setbacks that occur to everyone.  The end result is the ability of the body to function.  Oh how often we forget the value of just how important health is. 

The pursuit of Happiness as so distinctly stated in the Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson is what we seek as we build a life for ourselves.  What will I find meaning in, what good outcomes can I develop, and what relationships are worthy of pursuing.  Every person's dream is to find a certain harmony in life where they feel needed, wanted and part of a great society. 

The pursuit of Hope combines the other two and includes a third element that can only be found in direction.  Once I was on a midnight hiking trip deep in the winter in a pouring rain when we became totally lost.  Following the directions provided by a GPS deep in a forest headed toward a safe haven cabin when the GPS due to the rain became completely without function.  With only a vague idea of the proper direction we set off.  More than a hour passed with no sign if we were headed in the proper direction or not when I fell into a creek of ice cold water.  Having little to no direction my hope had just about reached its lowest depth.  Without a proper direction hope becomes completely lost. 

Direction in this life revolves around faith.  One can make an argument for differing faiths so this is the most important decision you will make in this life.  For me the search for truth leads me to the ultimate Christmas gift.  That was Christ on the cross crucified for my salvation.  I put my hope in nothing else.  My hope for everyone is a combination of all three.  May your Christmas feature all the Big H's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rev3 Knoxville & the JumboTron

Top 10 Tips for a Sprint Triathlon

A Visit with ISU Physical Therapy & Sports Rehab