How to live without hate

In my 59 years on earth I have heard, and seen many forms of hate.  That considered, I don’t know of any that top the massacre at the Sutherland Springs First Baptist Church.  The cold blooded massacre of women and children was clearly planned as the gunman fired 15 magazines of bullets regardless of whom he was shooting at.  It’s hard to even carry that much ammunition.

While you might be tempted to think this type of hate is something new, it’s clearly not.  Recently I studied the Reformation considering it’s the 500th anniversary of the event.  If you look at what happened just afterward, hundreds of thousands of people were killed over relatively small differences in beliefs in how to worship correctly within the church.  Did they not read Ephesians 4:31 “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice”?  Did they not consider the most peaceful words ever spoken were directly from Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount?
If a key exists to living without hate, I believe it is found directly in humility.  

The Sermon on the Mount begins with what is known as the Beatitudes.  The focus is clearly on humility.  Who am I that I should judge others?  Who am I to say I am better than anyone else?  What within my DNA suggests I am somehow superior? 


If you want to avoid the endless hate in the world reread the Sermon on the Mount.  Then make it your mission to live it.  I know of no words to live by that can bring you personally peace than these.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rev3 Knoxville & the JumboTron

Top 10 Tips for a Sprint Triathlon

Sermon on the Beatitudes Sierra Leone October 27 2019