Magnificence of a Deer


My son Jacob is the hunter/fisherman of the family and last week got his second deer of the season in the woods behind my brother in-laws home.  I went over with my friend Ron to help him load it up in the truck.  Just taking a look at it before we picked it up reminds me that no matter if you like to hunt them like Jacob or just watch them from a far like myself, deer at true magnificent creatures.   

Last summer I was riding the bike home from work when I watched two of them head across a field and straight at me.  They were running full speed and passed me so close I think I could have reached across the handlebars and touched them.  Sort of in awe at the power and grace as they flew passed thankful that they didn't take me out. 

While deer may seem like a fairly uncomplicated creature, they like all living creatures are anything but that.  Watching the process of field dressing the animal the complexity of them become all the more readily apparent.  Something hunters have known for countless years.  Watching it all this reminds me again of the God that created them.  Not just putting bone with muscle, but the complex interaction from a DNA level up that speaks of the God that created us; complexity beyond complexity. 

As the song from Psalms 42 goes:
As the deer panteth for the water
    So my soul longeth after You
You alone are my heart's desire
    And I long to worship You
You alone are my strength, my shield
    To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my heart's desire
    And I long to worship You


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rev3 Knoxville & the JumboTron

Top 10 Tips for a Sprint Triathlon

A Visit with ISU Physical Therapy & Sports Rehab