What I Need to do Today Is ...


This past Thanksgiving day I had the opportunity to participate in the Brazil YMCA Turkey Trot 5k run.  Couple weeks back Nick and Tracy Sarris mentioned their whole family was going to run so I became an honorary member for the day and joined in.  Come Thanksgiving morning after a warm up with Nick we got in line and ready to start.  Five members of the Sarris family, me and about 170 others took off at the start.

About a ½ mile in a was pretty far back in maybe 30 place and thinking I was starting a little too slow, but by mile 1 I was probably in the top 10.  First one went by in 6:40, and felt pretty relaxed.  Passed a couple more by mile two and heard 13:20 called out as I went by.  Made two miles go by at 6:40 even pace so not so bad. 

Last mile I tried to catch the lead girl in front of me, but she picked it up and I ran in on my own finishing in 20:49 (7th overall).  I think that averages out to 6:41 pace so pretty even splits. Probably the most fun on the day was running the last quarter mile with the Sarris's following little Alia finishing the 5k.  At that age you couldn't have dragged me with horses to run that far.

My goal for 2013 is to be in peak shape in early August for the Ironman 70.3 Steelhead on August 4th.  Then race the USA Triathlon Age-Group National Sprint race the next weekend.  Tough combination for me, but worthy goals for my first year in the 55-59 age group. 

Question I will need to ask myself each day is what workout today will get me to my goal of a top 10 age group finish in both?

Bigger question for each day is: am I going to do the right thing today in every case?  That will likely be tougher than an Ironman race anywhere. 

Both are something worth waking up to …

Comments

Ron said…
"What I need to do today is..."

That one is ez...what Daniel tells you to do. :-)

Welcome to the age group and it's great to hear you'll be in Milwaukee. I look forward to hooking up.
Paul Asay said…
I'll be cheering you on at Milwaukee. I'm anxious just to watch. Paul

Popular posts from this blog

Rev3 Knoxville & the JumboTron

Top 10 Tips for a Sprint Triathlon

Sermon on the Beatitudes Sierra Leone October 27 2019